Welcome to this blog honoring the memory of Hayward Alker by his students and friends. This space is meant to create a forum where we can post treasured memories in honor of his life. Please keep these posts personal, and thank you for contributing.

Please email Abigail Ruane (abigailr at usc dot edu) with anything you would like to post or to request posting privileges.

Update on booklet

Thank you so much to everyone who has already contributed to this blog and the book for Ann Tickner. The book turned out beautifully! It was given to Ann at ISA in 2008, and she very much appreciated it. Thanks to all of you for making it possible!

This blog is now primarily a piece of history. However, I will add to it, if people contact with me with requests to do so (as occurred in August 2009). Thanks again to all who contributed.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Dr. Alker is a mentor who continues to impact my life on a professional, musical and personal level even after his passing. The last time we spoke was this past summer when I was headed off to Korea for the summer on the Critical Language Scholarship Program. Without fail, Dr. Alker is one of the first people that comes to mind when my favorite season comes around - summer - because of our common bond with the arts.

The first close interaction I had with Dr. Alker was during my first days in the Honors Thesis Seminar, which he led in Dr. Odell's absence in 2003. I was one of six SIR students who were fortunate enough to have Dr. Alker's mentorship for the Honors Program during the one season which he was in charge of it. At first, I, like many other SIR students, were intimidated by Dr. Alker and even considered dropping out of the Honors Program because I my grasp of my research methodology paled to that of my colleagues.

However, I had one conversation with Dr. Alker that changed my entire outlook toward life. During his office hours, I determinedly sought Dr. Alker's guidance on my research topic and ended up telling him that often times I felt my decision to pursue IR over clarinet studies was foolish because it seemed as though I hit a plateau in my growth in both areas. As strange as I thought it was going to be, Dr. Alker completely understood what I meant and told me that he turned to singing in chorus to mentally recharge every summer at the Block Island Conservatory.

After that conversation, my passion for foreign affairs and music alike was rejuvenated and I stuck with the Honors Program until the very end. With the blessing of Dr. Alker and Dr. Tickner, our seminar participated in the Undergraduate Research Symposium and published our theses as individual chapters in a book he authored. From these experiences, I spent time with a great man who I respected more and more as a leading IR theorist, fine instructor and musician as well.

When I learned of Dr. Alker's passing, I was at a complete loss for words. I wondered if he made it back to Block Island Conservatory before he passed and was happy to learn that he did. My heartfelt memories at SIR will always link back to Dr. Alker, my mentor who inspired me never to force myself to embrace the challenges in life, whether they may be in foreign affairs, music or personal struggles. For that, I will forever be inspired and blessed.

- Brandon Marc Higa -

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link