Welcome to this blog honoring the memory of Hayward Alker by his students and friends. This space is meant to create a forum where we can post treasured memories in honor of his life. Please keep these posts personal, and thank you for contributing.

Please email Abigail Ruane (abigailr at usc dot edu) with anything you would like to post or to request posting privileges.

Update on booklet

Thank you so much to everyone who has already contributed to this blog and the book for Ann Tickner. The book turned out beautifully! It was given to Ann at ISA in 2008, and she very much appreciated it. Thanks to all of you for making it possible!

This blog is now primarily a piece of history. However, I will add to it, if people contact with me with requests to do so (as occurred in August 2009). Thanks again to all who contributed.

Monday, January 21, 2008

In the Fond Memory of Hayward Rose Alker


August 27, 2007

Dear Hayward,

I have received the sad news about your passing, but yet part of me cannot believe nor accept it. You were always so full of life and had enough energy to fuel any project you might desire. I cannot imagine anyone more dedicated to life, professionally and personally. I feel so thankful to you, for giving me a small part of it, as your assistant, student and friend.

Your professional enthusiasm was built on knowledge and respect, but also on humanism. You had a wholeness about you, that most people don't ever achieve in the span a lifetime. Your scholarly journey went from working on econometrics at MIT to hermeneutics at USC. You had strong epistemological preferences, but always respected those that thought of the world differently. As opposed to most scholars, you understood people who looked at the world through lenses different than your own. Whereas most scholars stay true to the epistemological traditions that they were formed, you never stopped evolving. I believe that your genuine interest in the practical implications of theory and research fueled your hunger for knowledge and the constant evolving of your ideas. Rather than condemning people you disagreed with, you tried to understand and engage in a dialogue with them. You were building bridges

As much as your professional achievements were impressive, was your humanism beautiful. You cared about your family, friends and students. You were surrounded with people that loved you and you always spoke with such warmth and fondness about your family, especially of your wife, daughters and grandkids. If anyone needed a hand, you were the first to reach out with an extraordinary willingness to share and genuine interest in helping. You didn't ask anything in return and always gave people the benefit of doubt.

For me you have been instrumental in the shaping and maturing of my own scholarly foundation. I came to USC to work with you 11 years ago, knowing that there were many gaps to fill in my education. I laugh now, remembering how intimidated I was by the way you expressed yourself and by your eminent intellect. I am not intimidated any more. Rather, I remember with fondness how you would sparkle, expressing excitement over your work and interests in ways that most of us outgrow. You taught me that stories can be written in many languages, that realities have many truths, pointed to the issues never raised and to connections never drawn.

I could never have asked for a better advisor than you and I will miss you dearly. You and Ann have always cared about your students and involved yourselves in their lives like nobody else. You would call me early in the morning about an idea for my dissertation and you would always find time to see me when I needed it, even if it meant opening your home during your free time or taking 2 hours of your busy day to discuss my work. You would always emphasize how busy you were, but carve out time for me regardless.

There is a void in the world and there is a void in my heart. Your journey is over, but I wish you could see how many of us are carrying your memory and legacy with us. I will always be an Alker student

With sadness, thankfulness, pride and respect

Anita Schjølset

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I contemplate the post should secure more info then it has.