Welcome to this blog honoring the memory of Hayward Alker by his students and friends. This space is meant to create a forum where we can post treasured memories in honor of his life. Please keep these posts personal, and thank you for contributing.

Please email Abigail Ruane (abigailr at usc dot edu) with anything you would like to post or to request posting privileges.

Update on booklet

Thank you so much to everyone who has already contributed to this blog and the book for Ann Tickner. The book turned out beautifully! It was given to Ann at ISA in 2008, and she very much appreciated it. Thanks to all of you for making it possible!

This blog is now primarily a piece of history. However, I will add to it, if people contact with me with requests to do so (as occurred in August 2009). Thanks again to all who contributed.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Irreplaceable mentor

One of my memories which stands out as classically typical of Dr. Alker took place my first year as a graduate student at USC. I was still learning the ropes at a new institution, and trying to not be overwhelmed by the huge workload of a graduate schedule. The workshop seemed perfect for my interest in conflict resolution, but I was worried about taking the time away from coursework to drive away for the weekend, and concerned about how to get the funding to attend. Dr. Alker was adamant that I should pursue the opportunity. He convinced me that it would be worth attending and that I had what it took to go, and he offered to pay the workshop fees from his personal bank account so that both me and two other students (CatiaConfortini and Christina Faegri) could attend. He followed through with this promise for those of us who needed it and made sure that all three of us could participate.

I had never seen a professor take such personal action to support a student before, and I am still amazed by the way that he always backed his students in such concrete ways. This was just one example of Dr. Alker's unswerving and unlimited commitment to his students. He never let me be overcome, whether by my own lack of courage, or by anything else, financial or otherwise, if he could help it. He was always available to his students, whether that meant talking us through problems in his office, making his home available to us to discuss dissertation issues over tea, or paying for us personally to attend key events, like the Galtung workshop.

Dr. Alker was a huge scholarly resource to me in my dissertation progress, providing a fountain of knowledge that was sometimes overwhelming to process. But more than that, he was someone whose care and commitment to me was unlike any I had known before I met him. He is someone I will truly miss and never forget.


Hayward Alker:

Delights in living
Gives two hundred percent to
Each gifted moment

Infectious passion
His face lights up and kindles
New questions and joy

Generous spirit
No public / private border
Curbs his care for students

Mentor with endless
Interests, care, and commitment
Irreplaceable


-- Abbi Ruane --

No comments: