Welcome to this blog honoring the memory of Hayward Alker by his students and friends. This space is meant to create a forum where we can post treasured memories in honor of his life. Please keep these posts personal, and thank you for contributing.

Please email Abigail Ruane (abigailr at usc dot edu) with anything you would like to post or to request posting privileges.

Update on booklet

Thank you so much to everyone who has already contributed to this blog and the book for Ann Tickner. The book turned out beautifully! It was given to Ann at ISA in 2008, and she very much appreciated it. Thanks to all of you for making it possible!

This blog is now primarily a piece of history. However, I will add to it, if people contact with me with requests to do so (as occurred in August 2009). Thanks again to all who contributed.

Friday, September 21, 2007

In loving memory

Hayward Alker was my mentor. He had a sparkle in his eyes. He was always excited about new ideas. At the ISA he would run from one panel to the next to hear a new paper that he thought sounded “so interesting!” You could not stop him if you tried. So many years into being a scholar and still loved it as it was his first.

He was a dedicated man and would always find time in his very busy schedule to meet with you, his graduate students. I was his Thursday 4.00 o’clock appointment. He would meet me every week for at least two hours to discuss my, or better, our project. He would seat quietly on his chair with his eyes closed listening at what I had to say and all of the sudden unexpectedly jump from the chair, his eyes sparkling again. He would verbally inundate you with his excitement and his suggestions on what you should do and what you should read. And you would walk out of his office with a thousand new ideas and a pile of “fascinating” books to read. As he was done with you his mind was already miles away on to only God knows what. He was constantly working on the next project.

He was not only a brilliant mentor he was also a fatherly figure. When you had your doubts and insecurities he would listen. And as you struggled to bear with your at times overwhelming project, he was the one to ask you “what’s wrong? Aren’t you excited of what you have accomplished so far?” He was always reassuring.

I am still working on our project, Hayward. I have your comments, your capital letter comments that speak just like you and will keep guiding me in this project and the next, and the next. You are and will be with me. You taught me to be a serious scholar to be scrupulous and to be generous. The only way I can think of thanking you for all you did for me is to be a good scholar just as you wanted me to be. You believed in me and invested in me. I won’t let you down.

Thank you, Hayward.

Serena Simoni

No comments: